The human nervous system is considered to be quite complicated and is prone to get damaged or injured due to accidents or disease. Whatever be the issue, it is necessary to visit a well-trained neurosurgeon like Dr. S N Singh, if the person experiences any type of issue with the spinal cord, brain or other intricate structures associated with the nervous system. The neurosurgeons are regarded to be specialists in the domain and are known to undergo highly rigorous training, so as to provide the patients with the best available treatment. Students of neurosurgery are also expected to complete 4 years in college and 4 years in medical school. Besides this, they are to complete a residency program of 6 years. Once, the physician becomes a licensed and trained neurosurgeon, he/she is likely to have 14 years of minimum school level knowledge.
The neurosurgeons are also referred to as brain surgeons and spend time curing the spine. There are conducted different types of neurosurgery procedures, some of which are stated to be incredibly complicated. It is for this reason, there is a genuine need to seek the consultation of the best neurosurgeons in the domain, as they only can diagnose the issue and provide appropriate respite and relief to the pain faced.
Some common neurosurgery procedures
- Chiari Decompression: Arnold-Chiari malformation, although uncommon is considered to be a defect taking place in the brain region, which is known to control body balance. Hence, this needs to be rectified, so that the patient can witness significant improvement in coordination and balance. Although there are present numerous legitimate treatment choices to make from, they all do involve surgery in some forms or the other. One simple and safe neurology option practiced is Chiari Decompression that entails the elimination of the bone present at the skull’s back portion.
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy: There are many who might experience severe pain in the neck region. Being unbearable, it might require a surgical remedy. Anterior cervical discectomy is considered to be a delicate, but common type of procedure that surgeons conduct on the patient. This surgery is performed to eliminate the damaged disc which presses the spinal cord or the nerve root.
- Epilepsy surgery: When pharmacological treatments do not provide respite to the epileptic issue, then there is suggested a surgical remedy to solve the problem. Epilepsy surgical procedure is conducted to eliminate the part of the brain which produces potentially fatal and uncontrollable seizures.
- Craniectomy: A good number of patients are found to suffer from traumatic stroke and brain injury that on being provided with this procedure are able to get a second lease of life. In this form of surgery, the skull part is removed to provide much-needed space to the swelling brain that it requires accommodating the swelling part, thus ensuring that it does not get crushed.
- Lumbar Puncture: It is regarded to be an effective and simple procedure to treat different types of diseases related to the spinal tap (lumbar puncture), central nervous system and is used commonly to diagnose meningitis.
- Laminectomy: This is termed to be a minimally invasive surgical operation that requires making a tiny incision in the skin to access as well as to eliminate part of vertebral bone referred to as the lamina. It is also called decompression surgery and this operation is found to be common for those suffering from a severe form of chronic back pain.
- Spinal Fusion: This form of surgical procedure is recommended to patients suffering from any traumatic injury or degenerative disease. It is also termed to be a major procedure to keep stable the spine region and is suggested only if no other option exists.
- Microdiscectomy: It is perhaps the most commonly conducted neurosurgical procedure to treat patients experiencing painful herniated discs within the lumbar region.
- Ventriculostomy: This form of surgery is stated to be a less commonly conducted alternative for shunting insertion to treat hydrocephalus, considered to be a ventriculostomy, where a tube is used for draining a buildup of fluids within the brain.
- Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt: Patients suffering from hydrocephalus are treated with this procedure. It involves shunt implantation to drain out excess fluid and to provide relief from pressures placed on the brain.
To get the very best treatment, it will be essential to consult the best neurosurgeon like Dr. S N Singh.