It is no doubt that milk is an extremely versatile liquid. You can use it to make smoothies, coffee, tea, and even ice cream. Now, a question might pop-up in your mind like, can you freeze milk? Milk can be hard to use sometimes before expiration. Hence, let us tell you that you can freeze milk. Therefore, read along to know more.
You have to note that different kinds of milk will yield different outcomes. When frozen, most types of milk will separate. Whereas oats and almonds, milk will have a grainy texture after freezing.
When you are preparing milk to freeze, make sure to put in an airtight container. Do not leave space for too much air. But, keep in mind, give it enough space to expand.
If you are still confused about how to freeze milk, then follow the guideline below. We have made sure to give you a complete guide and help you in the best possible way. Therefore, dig in to know more.
How does a different kind of milk react to freezing?
As mentioned earlier, different kinds of milk react differently. You will not get a specific outcome of all the milk in the market. Therefore, as per your need, buy the preferable milk.
Oats and almond milk will give you a grainy texture. But, also remember that you must never freeze condensed milk while it is in the can. Below we have listed different types of milk and also how they react.
- Human Breast Milk: Human breast milk is very beneficial for a baby. Now, you may want to freeze it for some other use or further use. Therefore, when you try freezing breast milk, the fat separates. Hence, breast milk undergoes harmless changes in smell and taste.
- Almond Milk: A lot of us prefer having coffee with almond milk. Hence, you may also want to freeze almond milk and try it on smoothies or cakes. Therefore, you can quickly freeze it, and it will give you a grainy texture.
- Dairy Milk: Dairy milk is a widely used milk type. Therefore, it can be used in many delicacies as well. When you freeze dairy milk, it can separate a bit.
- Soy Milk: Just like coconut and dairy milk, soy milk separates after freezing as well.
- Carton or Shelf-stable Milk: Carton milk has a long life compared to other milk types. Therefore, it does not need freezing until opened.
- Goat’s Milk: This kind of milk freezes very well. This milk will face some separation.
- Oat Milk: This milk is going to separate after freezing as well. Moreover, it may also turn grainy after freezing.
- Flax Milk: This is plant-based milk. So, the same as other plant-based milk, it will separate as well.
- Canned Milk:
- Condensed Milk: Condensed milk is sweet and is delicious to have. You can use them to make sweets, cake, and a lot of things. Remember not to freeze it while it is in the can. Moreover, as it has high sugar content, it will not freeze solid.
- Coconut Milk: Just like condensed milk should not be frozen in a can; coconut milk should not be either. Therefore, never try freezing coconut milk while it is in the can. After freezing, coconut milk can separate as well.
- Evaporated Milk: This milk will separate after freezing. Also, do not freeze it in the can.
If you love a smoothie, then all you can do freeze your preferred milk as ice cubes. When you make a smoothie, you can drop an ice cube of your preferred milk in the blender. Hence, this makes the process even simpler.
How to Freeze Milk?
The question of “Can you freeze milk?” must have popped in your mind even once in a while. We have already answered that. Now, we are going to tell you how you can freeze milk. Frozen milk can be used to make yummy smoothies or delicious cake or cookies. Therefore, we have talked about the simple procedure of freezing milk in this section. Let’s check it out.
First, you have to put the milk in a container. Never put the milk while it is in the carton or can into the freezer. Never do that! You have to place it in the container so that it gets enough space to expand. You cannot do that in a cardboard or glass carton or shelf-stable. Cans are a big no-no.
Moreover, as milk expands when frozen, it can even break the glass or cardboard. Therefore, it can make your freezer messy. Hence, it is advisable to use a separate container for freezing. A somewhat large container so that the milk gets enough space to expand and freeze.
Make sure you transfer the milk to an airtight container. It must have at least one to two inches left on top to expand. If your milk does not fit in a single container, then transfer it into two separate containers. Therefore, this leaves much room.
If you have extra milk, make sure to use it before expiration. You can freeze it as well. There is no profit in leaving it till the date of expiration and then throwing it away. Use it smartly. You can even freeze milk as ice cubes for ease of use.
Hence, this was the procedure by which you can freeze milk smartly. Follow the above guidelines to make perfect frozen milk.
How to thaw milk?
Frozen milk can be consumed for up to three months. But, the sooner you have it, the better it is. This is because milk can adapt to the smell of other things in the fridge, and you won’t like that as all. So, do not keep the milk for a longer time in the freezer.
When you are finally ready to use the milk to make smoothies or cookies, put it in the refrigerator to thaw. Defrosting depends on the size of the container. Depending on the size of the container, it can take up to two to three days. Once it is defrosted, you can use the milk for several days. It becomes its best version.
Make sure to use it sooner to avoid odour. You will not like your cookies smelling of fish or meat. So, use it quickly for the best result.
How to use defrosted milk?
After you have thawed the milk, you may want to know how to use it. Freezing and thawing are easy parts. Now comes the task of using the milk in a proper way to achieve the best result.
If you Have thawed milk earlier, then you probably must have noticed its grainy texture. There is no need to worry, as it is a common phenomenon. The grainy texture is because of the fat separation during freezing. Therefore, no need to panic.
It is common in plant-based and dairy milk. The high-fat content makes the milk look grainy. Therefore, the higher the fat content, the higher chances of milk looking grainy. Therefore, low skim milk or other types of milk freeze better because of low-fat content. They do not look grainy and freeze better.
If you want some smoothness in the milk, you can beat, stir, and shake the milk in a blender or a hand-mixer. This will make your milk smoother and perfect for further use. Also, remember, milk turns yellow after freezing. Therefore, drink the yellow milk but not the yellow snow.
Moreover, frozen milk is best used for baking, making smoothies, and cooking. It is entirely safe to drink, but it is best for using it in other processes. So, with frozen milk, you can prepare your favourite delicacy in no time.
Some do’s and don’ts of freezing milk
We have completed listing and reading the procedure and guidelines for freezing milk. Now, there are some precautionary measures that you must take before freezing milk. Also, there are some compulsory and beneficiary steps, as well. Hence, let’s check them out.
- When you are trying to freeze the milk upright, this may take some potential leak issues. Hence, it can get a bit messy.
- Defrosting and thawing can take an eternity. If you are running short of time, then place it on the draining board or cold water. Put all of these in the fridge to make the defrosting successful.
- After the milk is defrosted, could you give it a little shake? Hence, this will make sure that you get rid of the watery layer on the top.
- Remember to use the defrosted milk in a couple of days. This is because when it is back in the liquid state, freezing does not extend its life. Hence, use it as sooner as possible.
- Bonus: Butter freezes as good as milk.
- Never defrost the milk in any source of heat. Not even in the microwave.
- Defrost the milk in the fridge. Do not defrost the milk at room temperature. This increases the chances of bacterial growth. If you make the milk sit for a longer time at room temperature, this will allow bacteria to proliferate. Hence, this can make a person sick after he/she consumes that milk. Therefore, it is advisable to defrost milk in the fridge.
So, we hope we have answered your query as to how can you freeze milk? It is an effortless procedure. It just takes some patience and some days to yield the best result. You can surprise your kids, friends, and family by making delicious smoothies, cakes, sweets, etc. Frozen milk is very beneficial and a must-try.